Expasy is the bioinformatics resource portal of the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (more about its history).
It is an extensible and integrative portal which provides access to over 160 databases and software tools, developed by SIB Groups and supporting a range of life science and clinical research domains, from genomics, proteomics and structural biology, to evolution and phylogeny, systems biology and medical chemistry.
The Expasy search engine
Thanks to a user-friendly search engine, Expasy allows you to seamlessly 1) query in parallel a subset of SIB databases through a single search, and to 2) surface related information and knowledge from the complete set of >160 resources on the portal. Expasy provides information that is automatically aligned with the most recent release of each resources, thereby ensuring up-to-date information.
Please contact the Expasy Helpdesk if you experience any issues – or simply to let us know what a difference the portal made for your purpose!
We do hope your use of Expasy helped you in your research or educational activities!
Séverine Duvaud, Chiara Gabella, Frédérique Lisacek, Heinz Stockinger, Vassilios Ioannidis, Christine Durinx;
Expasy, the Swiss Bioinformatics Resource Portal, as designed by its users
Nucleic Acids Research, 2021. DOI: 10.1093/nar/gks225
Expasy was created in August 1993 - the dawn of the internet era. At that time, it was referred to as 'ExPASy, the Expert Protein Analysis System' as proteins were its primary focus. It was the first life science website - and among the 150 very first websites in the world!
In June 2011, it became the SIB Expasy Bioformatics Resources Portal: a diverse catalogue of bioinformatics resources developed by SIB Groups.
The current version of Expasy was released in October 2020 following a massive user study and taking into account design, user experience and architecture aspects: we thank all participants for their help in shaping Expasy 3.0!
Links and documentation
- SIB Resources: set of tools and databases by SIB Groups that are deemed of particular importance to the life-science community.
- Competence centres: in-depth expertise and support in bioinformatics, from secure infrastructure for sensitive data and analyses of all kinds of biological data to software development and data management.
- Training: large portfolio of bioinformatics courses and workshops for researchers and healthcare professionals, in the academia and the industry.
- Let’s collaborate: supporting your needs with one-off services up as well as long-term collaborative support.
- Bioinformatics for all
- ChromosomeWalk: a saunter along the human genome? Take a walk and discover the world of genes, proteins and bioinformatics!
- PrecisionMedecine: an overview of what precision medicine means in oncology.
- Drug Design Workshop: a web-based educational tool to introduce computer-aided drug design to the general public.
- Genome Jumper: explore human diversity with this educational mobile game available on Google Play and App Store (EN, FR, DE).
- Protein Spotlight: an electronic magazine that introduces the tremendously varied world of proteins.